Cycle to Work is a government backed salary sacrifice scheme available to PAYE employees in the UK. It is aimed at making cycling more affordable and accessible for commuters and leisure riders. It's a simple process to complete, which will help you save up to 42% on a brand new bike and cycling accessories!
A change in legislation has now removed the £1,000 limit under the Governments Cycle to Work initiative meaning that your employer can apply for a higher or even unlimited Cycle to Work limit. This now means you can get an ebike should you wish.
The actual scheme is done through your employer and involves minimal work on their part. The process can be simplified as:
- Employer signs employees up to the scheme
- Employees contact the bike shop and obtain an quote for what they want
- Employees give this to their employer
- Employer says yay or nay and tells the cycle to work provider accordingly
- Cycle to Work provider issues employer with an invoice for all the bikes
- Employer pays invoice - be patient as this could be thousands in some cases!
- Cycle to Work provider issue employees with a voucher
- Employee takes voucher to bike shop to redeem against goodies
- Employer technically owns the purchases for 3 years so don't sell them / lose them / abuse them as some employers have asked for them back!
- After 3 years the purchases are yours (sometimes subject to a minimal fee)
At both our stores we are able to take cycle to work vouchers from a myriad of suppliers. These include but are not limited to:
- The Green Commute Initiative
- Halfords - you must inform them you are using it with us first
- Evans - as above
With a Cycle to work voucher the shop pays a huge commission on cashing in that voucher so we cannot use C2W voucher as payment in full or as part of the following:
- Anything on sale - bikes, frames, soft goods or safety equipment
- Mason Bikes
- Specialized S-Works Bikes or Frames
- Specialized Status 140 or 160 bikes
- Workshop jobs
We are happy to have you top up a voucher if it doesn't cover your full purchase value.